17 January 2010

Green Juice and more...

Ok so I finally bought a juicer. I got a cheap one at Target because I wasn't sure if I would even enjoy juicing and I'm a very very beginner. I hate to waste money so I think it was the best for me. I decided to make "Green Lemonade" by Natalia Rose's book. I like romaine lettuce, celery, apples, and lemons. I thought it would be great. Little did I realize-lack of research- that green juices would be sooooo disgusting!! So there I was..feeling like a raw failure. Big Big failure. I thought..I will never be able to drink this stuff..I can't even plug my nose and swallow. After wallowing in my sorrows of being a raw failure I decided I would wait a couple of days and try again.
So today I went to the grocery store and bought some more fresh veggies and fruits. I was completely out. I bought some greens for try #2. I just made my first green juice that I can stomach! Ok let me give details before I get too excited. Its not much green--but as much as I can currently stomach. I used two handfuls of spinach sludge (exactly what it looks like out of the juicer) and two stalks of celery. I thought that would be plenty of green sludge. Then I juiced two apples, one pear, and 2 carrots--just so I could get the green sludge down. So I do feel accomplished--but I have yet to conquer adding more green sludge. I will just keep adding a little more sludge and a little less fruit each time. Haha. Hopefully one day I will be more acclimated to drink it. Anyone have any not-so-disgusting beginner green juice recipes?? Feel free to share. I need the help.
My second accomplishment--nut butter and agave nectar on a sprouted grain bagel. Umm can you say delicious. I'm not so sure toasting a sprouted grain bagel= raw--actually I'm positive its not. But its better than a regular grocery store bagel covered in cream cheese. :-) And I am in love with them. I was really scared to try the almond butter. For one-Peter Pan and Jif's peanut butters lack the oily goop on top. I am a huge peanut butter fan. I used to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every single day. Now that I am reformed from mediocre eating habits, I have found something I like better. So after tasting the nut butter-I realized it definitely wasn't peanut butter, but it was pretty tasty. I can fool my taste buds into "fake peanut butter" as I like to call it.
So after a week of getting used to new things--I feel pretty good. I am enjoying the new things. I never thought I was a picky eater, but there are some things I can't stomach. Mainly certain textures. Hopefully I will get used to all of these wonderful recipes that I keep finding.

No comments:

Post a Comment